Back to webinar list
Title: “Rodent Stereotactic Surgery”
Registration Closing date : July 8, 2014
This is a 3 Part Webinar Series:
07-08 Part I - Fundamentals of stereotactic surgery in rodents
07-15 Part II - Performing stereotactic surgical procedures
07-22 Part III - Addressing common complications and issues with rodent stereotactic surgery
Continuing Education Credits : 6
This webinar series is designed as an introduction to the fundamentals of rodent stereotactic surgery and to further hone the technical skills of the participant to perform stereotactic surgery in rodents.
Who Should Attend?
This interactive webinar is designed for scientists, veterinary technicians, veterinarians and technical support staff who are planning on
- setting up stereotaxic equipment,
- preparing rodents for stereotaxic procedures,
- performing or assisting with stereotaxic surgical procedures on rodents,
- identifying proper brain coordinates for stereotaxic manipulation,
- using and maintaining rodent stereotaxic equipment, and
- providing peri-operative care of rodents undergoing stereotaxic surgery.
This webinar series is design as an introduction to fundamentals of rodent stereotactic surgery and to further hone the technical skills of the participant to perform stereotactic surgery in rodents.
What will be covered?
Webinar Part 1 will cover the following topics:
1. Surgical preparation, including aseptic technique.
2. Basic anesthesia and monitoring.
3. Stereotaxic equipment.
d. Proper placement of rodents in the stereotaxic apparatus.
e. Unique challenges of aseptic surgery with stereotaxic equipment.
1. Prepping the equipment for aseptic handling.
2. Draping the animal.
Webinar Part 2 will cover the following topics:
1. Specific anesthesia and analgesia protocols.
2. Identifying reference points on the skull.
3. The use a brain atlas to precisely identify and locate areas of the brain.
4. Preparation and use of orthopedic drills and infusion pumps.
5. Intracranial injection procedures from incision to close.
6. Closure techniques
Webinar Part 3 will cover the following topics:
- Common challanges and solution wiht animal placement
- Resplving less common complications
- Additional drilling techniques and tips
- Tips to increase throughput
- Tips for using magnification devices more efficiently
- Additional suture patterns for head incision closure
- Rodent electronic monitoring
These webinars meet the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS), Canadian Association for Laboratory Animal Science (CALAS), and Academy of Surgical Science (ASR) requirements for Continuing Education Units. Each participant will receive 6 Certificates of Attendance.
These webinars have been reviewed and approved by the AAVSB RACE program for 6 continuing education credits for veterinarians and veterinary technicians. Please contact the AAVSB RACE program at email@example.com should you have any comments/concerns regarding this program's validity or relevancy to the veterinary profession.
Individual Pricing :
$249 (per person) for for-profit institutions or
$249 (per person) for non-profit.
Groups[*] of 2-4 individuals
$349 (per group) for for-profit institutions or
$349 (per group) for non-profit.
Groups[*] of 5 or more individuals :
$499 (per group) for for-profit institutions or
$499 (per group) for non-profit.
[*] - Group registration receives a license to view webinar on one computer/monitor
Back to webinar list