Laboratory Mouse and Rat Anesthesia, Analgesia and Euthanasia
This course is designed for scientists, veterinary technicians, veterinarians and technical support staff who wish to learn the basic principles of mouse and rat anesthesia, analgesia and euthanasia. This course is extensive enough for a novice, but also provides an excellent review for more experienced personnel. Information presented in the course will provide participants with the requisite knowledge required by regulatory agencies and the skills necessary to perform basic mouse and rat anesthesia, analgesia and euthanasia.
Delivery methodologies of anesthetics and analgesic, and behavior associated with pain are represented through high quality images and streaming videos.
This course was developed by Szczepan Baran, VMD, MS in collaboration with Paul Flecknell, MA, VetMB, PhD, DLAS, DECVA, DECLAM, MRCVS, Cynthia Pekow, DVM, MS, DACLAM, Michael Talcott, DVM, DACLAM, F. Claire Henkenson, DVM, MS, DACLAM and Troy M Hallman, VMD, MS, DACLAM.
This course is being reviewed by the AAVSB RACE program for continuing education credits. Please contact the AAVSB RACE program at email@example.com should you have any comments / concerns regarding this program's validity or relevancy to the veterinary profession.
This course also meets
• Academy of Surgical Research (ASR)
• American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
• Canadian Association for Laboratory Animal Science (CALAS)
requirements for Continuing Education Units and provides:
6 CE units for personnel certified through ASR
6 CE units for personnel certified through AALAS
6 CE credits for veterinarians and veterinary technicians
Registration is ongoing and the course is available on-demand.
EXAM and QUIZZES
There are a total of 17 quizzes, one quiz after each module.
There is a final exam which participants have to pass (score over 70%) in order to receive continuing educational credit.
Real-time sessions are not available for this course. Participants can interact with the faculty and other participants on the message board and through electronic mail.
MESSAGE BOARD DISCUSSIONS
Discussions will begin on September 17th, 2009 and continue indefinitely.
Required Textbook: None
• Flecknell P. Laboratory Animal Anaesthesia (2009).
• Fish R, Danneman PJ, Brown M, Karas A. Anesthesia and Analgesia in Laboratory Animals (2008).
• Become familiar with mouse and rat anesthesia, analgesia and euthanasia regulations, guidelines, requirements, and definitions
• Learn physiology of pain and physiological effects of pain
• Learn hot to detect and monitor pain
• Learn various delivery methodologies of anesthetics and analgesics
• Learn basic pharmacology of anesthetics and analgesics
• Learn anesthetic equipment setup
• Learn anesthetic process
• Learn anesthetic protocols for specific conditions
• Learn adult, feti and neonates euthanasia techniques
2. Physiology of pain
3. Physiological effects of pain
4. Detection of pain
5. Provision of anesthesia and analgesia
6. Provision of analgesia
7. Provision of anesthesia
8. Pharmacology of anesthetics and analgesics
9. Paralytic agents
10. Inhalant anesthetics
11. Delivery routes of anesthesia
12. Anesthetic equipment
13. Anesthetic process
14. Anesthesia for specific conditions
15. Anesthesia monitoring
16. Euthanasia – adults
17. Euthanasia – feti and neonates
18. Final exam
Non-profit Organization Cost: $350
Non-profit Institutional Cost: $350